Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Same Cup - different day


Sketched this yesterday with WS graphite in a handmade book my sister gave me - I think it has heavy cardstock as the pages. I love the smooth, thick paper!



I sketched this one today in my Barnes & Noble sketchbook (blank book) and I used a Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer black watercolor pencil. The white in both sketches is a Liquid Paper pen.

I feel as though I'm starting to overwork these sketches. The cup was dark red and instead of suggesting the shadows I may have overstated them a bit. The first sketch I did using the ws graphite was much lighter -

http://daloweartist.blogspot.com/2010/01/danny-gregorys-inspiration.html (this sketch was scanned and so it's hard to see the values in it.)

I want to get back to that freedom I had in the first sketch to just suggest the shading, values. I still want to order several water soluble graphite pencils; the Cretacolor ones that I used first - I only have one and it's cracked and there is that fear of not having enough again! I went out and bought the Prismacolor ones, but the woodless Cretacolors are better for me because I like to get the color from the tip of the pencil with my brush instead of just drawing with it. I'm obsessed with ordering these pencils! I go to dickblick.com every day at work and think about ordering. I can't justify spending $6.95 shipping for just the pencils! I am pathetic! Does anybody else have this problem! I keep saying to myself, "use what you have." But I want more of these pencils! Here's a reason why: I'd like to have one at work, one in my purse, one in the living room near the couch, and one in the studio - so I don't have to search for that one cracked pencil every time I have the urge to draw. Now that makes sense, right?
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Alex said...

Love the spirit ^^ The drawings show that as well. I believe my wife loves coffee as much as you do, perhaps someday she'd be able to draw what she loves so much as well :)

Timaree said...

It makes sense to me! Not only that but then I'd stand a chance of being able to find at least one to draw with. I know about that shipping. That's the hard part so I always add stuff to make it a worthwhile order but I've been doing THAT too often lately. Good luck.

David R. Vallejo said...

These drawings are really great and inspiring. Keep up the great work.
I run into the same problem with shipping. I just try to hit all the good deals, especially on the holidays, and plan my purchases.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Jennifer Edwards said...

Ahh, me...how I go through this all the time! Sometimes I try to beef up the order with other things I need/want just to make the shipping more "worth it". Sometimes I think of the shipping as gas money...ie. if I traveled to an art supply store that would have these pencils, I would spend that much, if not more, on the gas to get there. Or you can wait a few weeks, and see if you are still enamored with the pencils. If you are like me, I tend to grow enamored with something else and the "need" for the pencils is much less...but I'll "need" the NEW thing I've fallen in love with. Ha! :)

Unknown said...

Well, I think you've proven that you like the medium, so it seems like it would be worth the investment. And if you combine your order with other supplies you know you'll use eventually, like paper, it could be well worth the shipping. For me, the closest nice art store is about an hour away.

Besides, you're doing really nice work with them! :D

Anonymous said...

I like the darkness of these. I love a drawing that has dark graphite! YEEHAW!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...