Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Less is More - Pursuing Balance

BEFORE (January 9, 2010):



AFTER (Today, February 28, 2010):



For me, right now, less is more. I can hardly believe this is the same corner.

My Closet:


Full but organized.


I had gotten so overwhelmed with all the endless supplies available, books with endless techniques, my mind was constantly popping with ideas and yet I lacked focus. In an interview after writing her book Living the Creative Life, Rice Freeman Zachary said,


"With all of the publications on the stands, people are filling themselves with images of what other people are creating. They often feel like that's what they should be doing too. You know: encaustic, or assemblage, or whatever everyone else is doing, the Craft du Jour. While it's fine to experiment with various techniques, there comes a point where, if you truly want to make art, you have to narrow down your focus and find what it is that you want to do and then practice and master the techniques required of that. Dabbling is fine if that's what you want to do, but it's never going to get you any deeper. I think one problem is that we think everything related to creativity should be fun. Sure, play is vital. But so is self-discipline. If you want to master anything and move to the next level with it, it's work. In 'working artist', both words are important: they're artists, but they're also working. Don't be afraid of doing the hard work required to really master something, whether it's sculpting or painting with oils or hand stitching."
She further states,

"Oh: and never, ever, confused (sic) shopping and acquiring a bunch of stuff with making art. Buying art supplies and shopping for vintage ephemera is not making art. If that's what you want to do--go to the flea markets in Paris and buy stuff and then write the trip off as tax deductible because it's for Your Art--that's fine. But be honest with yourself about what it is that's driving you. Is it art, or is it an excuse to
shop?"

This really spoke to me. I printed this out and put it in my art notebook on May 24, 2009. I found it on http://mycreativejourney.typepad.com/. How true this is! We are bombarded with information and yet as artists we have to wade through all the techique, advice, copying, and find our own voice, make our own splash in this life.

That's my goal. To make my own splash.

I realized fully that less IS more when I began using just the watersoluble graphite, a pen, and a waterbrush. I didn't feel overwhelmed anymore and I enjoyed, looked forward to, and felt confident about making that drawing. You see: we have a small house, I have a husband, a teenage daughter, a full-time and demanding job, not to mention a passion for reading, extended family closeby to visit, church, friends, and the list goes on. I need focus or I might implode :-) We all need focus.

So...I sold the giant drafting table that took up 1/4 of our kitchen and organized and consolidated the mountain of supplies I own. I only threw away (believe it or not) a few scraps of paper and my Derwent Graphitint pencils (which have been proven to be complete UNlightfast). It felt good to stop holding on to them (for what I didn't know) and just Toss Them in the Trash! Oh and I had purchased some metal file fasteners thinking I would make books with them at Office Depot. When I got home with them it was just the fastener prongs with no backs, and they were sticking up in the drawer and driving me crazy - so I tossed them out! It felt good. I got out one of each color of colored pencil and put the rest in the closet in a covered plastic container. I felt overwhelmed when I looked at that huge basket of about 500 colored pencils. It was pretty, but my goodness! What I hope I've learned as well is to stop buying so much! and use what I have.

Maybe I'm getting closer to Balance.

I leave you tonight with a sketch from 3/18/2008 in my Aquabee sketchbook. I've been too busy this weekend organizing and de-cluttering to draw - but my little corner is waiting and my table is empty and ready for me to work. My new journals and a watercolor brush that Laura Frankstone (http://www.laurelines.typepad.com/) recommended should arrive tomorrow (yes I'm buying, but it's focused buying LOL) - until then -- good night everyone.

Tomorrow, let's all go make our splash!!!







Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Timaree said...

I like your cleaned up version and totally understand what you are saying. Overwhelmed is what I have been feeling lately as I take on yet one more class and then one more. I want to learn many different ways to journal so I have them under my belt but really, just how many ways are there that I like? I am beginning to really enjoy watercolor and I like it for the small palette and waterbrush I can carry anywhere. Colored pencils are great too but I don't think collage and multi-layered pages are for me. I think that's why I have always enjoyed seeing your work. You paint either with your lovely colors or with your new pencils but it's simply done and I love it. So stay focused and have fun. I'll be checking up on you, lol.

Anonymous said...

This is soooo GREAT!!! I really applaud your courage. And you're right!! I need to reduce MY "stuff" as well.....I think I have more books than anything else..as for the graphitints...I really LOVE those, but found I have TWO sets of 24..so I'm 'gifting' one set to an art teacher friend for her students to "experiment" with......nice job! deni.....;)

teri said...

I loved seeing your blog and reading the quotes, Deborah. I'll post more on BAJ, but just want to say that coincidentally, new year's affirmation for 2010 has been "less is more."

Unknown said...

I'm in mourning! I cannot believe you sold that beautiful drafting table! I know, you needed to do it for yourself, but I just wasn't ready for it! Your corner looks great though! And with so little there, maybe you'll be able to focus more! If you only knew what my desk looks like at the moment...:)

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence - I said this morning that I need to stop dabbling and settle down! Great quote and very timely for me!

nanke's stuff said...

Good for you for paring down and simplifying! It takes a lot of time and energy to do it, but don't you feel so much better? Great post and quotes! nancy

Sandra said...

Such wonderful words of advice. May you enjoy your space. I'll be giving mine an update.

Shelley Malone said...

I should probably do the same thing; I get overwhelmed sometimes when I go in my craft room. I bet you'll find that you're creating more and better art now that you've got such a clear focus. Good for you!

Tammy Freiborg said...

Congratulations on finding, creating, and continually changing your own path as you move forward in your creative life!

Renie said...

Good on ya! Be proud of yourself! I've been trying to do the same for the last year, but with 30 years of collecting it's soooooo difficult! You are amazing!

Alex said...

That's a big step that you've taken, and a lot were tossed in the trash cans. I feel very proud of you to be able to let go, but at the same time I was asking why didn't you give them away to school kids instead? I did the same too when I had to move from Germany to Louisiana, I gave away a lot of stuff and colors that I love.
But basically I am doing the same now. I haven't a lot of colors, and most of the colors I use are really cheap anyway, and using what I have to make the most out of it. Art can be such and expensive hobby, but it can also be an extremely cheap one if you know how to be resourceful and creative. (I've seen a guy doing a portrait with just ketchup that's gone bad, and he's really good at it)
But I'd love to have a drafting table one day too if the house I'll be living in has enough space, but otherwise, I'm just fine with a small table. I did all my drawings in a shaky, plasticky, laptop table which was around, 20"x15" wide... I think I don't need to have a lot just to draw. So you've got my 100% support on less is more sometimes.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

It looks good in your new space, But You Sold The Table?? OMG! how I would have loved to get my hands on that...

I know what you mean about having a ton of ideas and lacking focus, yep, been there of and on... maybe I need to follow the trend and clean up my space (call it early spring cleaning)

Mari

Anonymous said...

Hello there...wow! Your words are exactly what I need to hear...i mostly shop n shop for supplies and make very little art....! I also need to follow this advice..! Great post!

Jennifer Edwards said...

Oh, I so relate to the quotes you included here! I find I have to really take care of myself in this area of looking at everyone else's art...tends to drag me down in the dumps. Crazy, huh? Thanks for the thoughtful post! And what a wonderful drawing of your "reading nook".

Johanna said...

well done!

Ann said...

I can so relate to this! One of the reasons I began my 100 painting project was to focus on one thing - just one thing - and it is working. I feel so much more balanced. Like you, we're in a small house too, and your redesigned space is inspiring! I am in the process of cleaning out the room we use for office and my art space. I have bags of stuff waiting to go to Goodwill.

Alex said...

Thank you for your comments Deborah. I really appreciate that you paid attention to the details of my drawing, and that backpack was part of the highlights of the whole drawing too, and that the fact that the soldier is kneeling down getting covered from the possible danger up front, and probably praying while doing so. That's when I see what kind of "load" a soldier has to carry.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...