Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Danny Gregory's Inspiration



Danny Gregory's blog again inspired me, and his book "The Creative License" which I pulled off my shelf today. I've been feeling scattered lately, and I've decided that I need focus. I am going to carry only a small sketchbook, my Niji waterbrush, a watersoluble graphite pencil and a Pigma Micron pen for a while and just sketch my surroundings. Just draw. Hone my skills and forget about "styles" for a while. I want to draw and fill a sketchbook, consistency. Stick-to-it-iveness.

It may be a while before I post again. But when I do, I hope to have some nice sketches like the one above to show you. It felt good to work with limited supplies and just draw. This is what I need for now. Please bear with me while I simplify and sketch and we'll get together again to discuss the results.

Thank you, Danny Gregory for endless inspiration.
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very nice! I like the clock and the simplicity of it. I like Danny Gregory's book too. :-)

Ann said...

I really like this drawing and the materials you chose to work with. You are giving me more ideas! I'm going to go review my copy of The Creative License now :-)

Dan Kent said...

I think this is a stunningly beautiful and fanciful drawing! I have never heard of a water soluble graphite pencil. So that is the shading? The Micron is waterproof so it must be. Wow. Love it.

martinepittet said...

I love your sketch and these subtle shades and values.

Wendy said...

This is just LOVELY. It's realistic but with a quirky look to it that is so appealing.

I agree, Danny's book is inpiring.

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all for your comments! Wendy I like the word you used "quirky". I like that it's not totally realistic - quirky... that's a good word.

Shirley said...

This B and W is lovely. Please keep sharing them with us. We all need to remember to go back to refine drawing skills on a regular basis. And it is such a good opportunity to work with "values."
Shirley

Melissa S. said...

You are off to a great start! I know you can stick with it and will look forward to the results.

Unknown said...

Very well done!! I just had my copy returned to me last week and I've been thumbing through it. I didn't realize how much I missed it!

Sandy said...

Lovely pages - and I know how inspiring Danny IS!!

donna said...

Wow! This is great. I just love it.

Janene said...

The sketch is lovely and expressive. I think the simple colors work well for you.

Ramona Davidson said...

Great sketch. yes, sometimes just doing the basics can really satisfy more so than all the fancy can give. Good work.

Timaree said...

You are doing great with these tools so let's see how you get used to them. I'll be waiting to see your new series.

Alex said...

Beautiful lines and shades! Love how you've given life to all these items, and how you've frozen them in time in the most basic way.

nanke's stuff said...

Ooh, what a wonderful sketch! Well done, indeed! nancy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...