Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

An Update



While it may appear that I have been doing nothing artistic because of my lack of posting lately, I will report that it is quite to the contrary. I have been under enormous pressure at work for the past few weeks. It all turned out to be a very good experience and I felt such a huge sense of pride to work where I do with such wonderful people, pride in my work, and satisfaction. What a feeling after so much work and stress!

So yesterday, I took the day off! I got my hair done, ate lunch, and then browsed around the antique stores, art supply stores, book store, and consignment shops all afternoon. Bliss! I bought lots of books with a gift certificate that my wonderful boss gave me in appreciation for all my hard work, and I had a check waiting at the consignment shop for some things I took in to sell. I got the cup pictured above - isn't it grand! and the pastel set below. This is an old Prismacolor Nupastel set, not sure how old, but Prismacolor was then owned by Eagle and they were called Prismapastels, as opposed to Nupastels. The colors were brilliant after I cleaned the sticks on a scrap of watercolor paper.



The following picture is of my messy coffee table "littered" with books, art supplies, stamps, all the happy things I love to surround myself with. You can see a drawing of the cup from the previous picture. I will post the finished version later.



I met a lady in a local antique store yesterday who was a delight to talk with. She has just learned that she has leukemia. She was fascinated with my sketchbook journal - I took it in to sketch and also took photographs of some interesting pieces they had in the shop to hopefully paint later. She said that although she didn't practice it, she firmly believed in journaling. I encouraged her to begin a journal - she wanted to leave it for a family member - I can't remember if it was a grandson, or what... I shared my bag of supplies that I carry around and some of my favorite pens (which she could buy right across the street at Artifax). We had the best chat. I do hope that she begins that journal soon.

What a fun day -- and the weather today is spectacular! I'm going to another nearby town to buy my daughter a new pair of earrings (she just got her ears pierced) this afternoon and evening. Life is just so wonderful and I'm so glad to be out from under all the stress at work - hopefully life will return to its more relaxed pace now that all the hulabalu is over.

And hopefully I can return to more regular sketching and blogging.

Happy, happy Saturday to you all!

Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

MaryO said...

I enjoyed your day vicariously, Deborah, it sounds wonderful. And how satisfying it must have been to give the woman something new to think about at such a stressful time for her. Enjoy those pastels!

nanke's stuff said...

I love days like that, and you scored some great stuff to boot! Well done!! nancy

Timaree said...

Well hooray for that period of time to be over! Your cup sketch looks great even mixed in with everything else. I hope you gave the lady with leukemia the push to really do the journaling. Have a great weekend.

Alex said...

Love the day, love the story. I hope somehow that they shop owner will start a journal and embrace the wonders that could happen in every single day and still be able to cherish and share them with her family members even when she's gone.
:) I can't wait to see your art again, but I also love reading your stories and how you see things. Have you thought about writing books or have you already written a few already that I am ignorant about(I don't read book, I love short stories)

Quilt knit said...

That was so wonderful! I wish my boss would give me a gift certificate for hard work. I am glad you encouraged the lady to Journal. I still smile from the memory of encouraging a lady the simple act of requesting salt-less McDonald's French Fries. McD's fries taste good even when salt - free. Encouraging someone with an illness is awesome. Great Day you had. So glad you shared.

Sherrie
((( Circle of Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're being creative and enjoying life. Don't you just love all the "stuff" of creativity? Cups, books, art supplies, mags, woo hoo! Glad that all is well, too. Sometimes, when folks are absent from blogging for a while, I worry that things aren't going so well for them. Have a great day Deborah!

teri said...

This sounds like so much fun. You brightened up someone else's day - what a worthwhile adventure for both of you! I often find that my most prolific art days seldom make it to my blog.

Purrplekatt said...

Sounds like you had a great day! I love those photo's. I never get tired of looking at art supplies. ;) ~Stacy

Kim S Owens said...

What a lovely day!! Those are the best - I love to browse without any "mission" - just to see what shows up to come home with me :-) Thanks for sharing your sweet moment with the shop owner - I too hope she starts that journal.

Elizabeth B Merriman said...

Thanks for sharing a snippet of your life... I feel like I am right in the room with you. I'm eager to see some of your journal pages.

Anonymous said...

You definitely took yourself on an Artist Date -- good for you! Sounds like a wonderful day, taking care of yourself in all kinds of ways - that you definitely deserve! --Mary H.

Ramona Davidson said...

Congrats for being able to take the time to relax in I/me time that we all need. Thanks for sharing your day. That was a good sharing & journaling entry for all.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful day! Good for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...