Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Today's Sketch and Finished Canvas



I needed to splash and play in my sketchbook today. A photo I took last summer of the zinnias in front of our house caught my eye first thing this morning. So I worked on it during breaks at work, at lunchtime, and a little while this evening - and... - voila... the finished sketch. This hand-book journal amazes me because it will take a real beating. Layers and layers of gouache and watercolor, scrubbing out, painting back in, splashing, spattering - and it just hangs in there with me!



Is this a lovely mess or what! My "studio corner" has pared way down, but there is nothing more beautiful or inviting to me than seeing my watercolors out and brushes lying around just beckoning me to come on over!

Last but not least:
I've been working on the large acrylic painting below for several months at work in my office studio. It is to hang in the bedroom of a friend who lives at the training center where I work. The canvas is huge - I think it's 24 x 30, so the photo doesn't quite give you the real feel of the size of this garden. My friend Jessica worked with me in my office and painted a piece of watercolor paper with the patterns and colors and then I collaged the pieces into the flower petals. The solid colored flowers I painted in. I'm pleased with how this turned out and I hope Jessica likes it! I can't wait to see it hanging on the wall above her bed.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Your acrylic is wonderful!! I need something bright like that in my bedroom! And I'm amazed you done that much to your journal and it came out great! I haven't enjoyed mine so much, but I think I might be treating it too gently, thinking the thin pages will tear. You've given me something to experiment with!

Alex said...

It's really nice to see you having so much fun with your sketchbook ^^ All the splashes of colors are signs saying "Yay...this is fun!" to me =)
And the acrylic painting.... WOW! I am starting to find acrylic painting really fascinating. I gotta try it someday(I know I've been saying this over and over again-_-)

nanke's stuff said...

Your zinnias are so cheery looking, and your acrylic piece just radiates joy! I'm sure your friend will love it. nancy

Roadchick said...

I love both pieces!

Thanks for the information about the Hand Books - I've looked at them and wasn't sure how they would hold up. Nice to hear (and see) that they can take whatever is thrown at them!

Elizabeth B Merriman said...

I found the Handbook Journal to not take the watercolor that well... I have a lighter touch and wanted the subtle shadings and gradations that did not work well for me on the cream paper. AND, I am pleased that it works well for stronger work like yours.

Here is my recent posting that is lighter..
http://maoma3.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

I love those zinnias! Your sketchbook is great.

Timaree said...

I like both pictures! They are both your signature bright style. I hope your friend likes hers. I don't see why she wouldn't.

Dan Kent said...

All you're doing is so impressive. Love how you play rough with the sketchbook - I think it came out great. And I think your acrylic is bright, happy and whimsical! She will love it.

Ramona Davidson said...

Both are beautifully done. Thanks for sharing your lovely art with us.

rrARTz said...

what fun to see so many pictures! love your watercolors and sketchbook and painting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...