Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Review - Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner

The central theme of the book is our ability, our power, to choose.
Susan Meissner weaves together two women, who lived five centuries apart, with the common thread of their power to choose; not to have their choices forced upon them by others. Other common threads that wove these two women together are their shared name, Jane; and a betrothal ring with the name "Jane",  along with a Latin phrase from Song of Solomon  inscribed inside.

I found this book to be a history lesson that made me feel as if I was a part of the mid-sixteenth century, watching and cheering Lady Jane Grey on.  At the same time I could relate so well to present-day Jane as she searches for answers about herself, her marriage, and the origin of the ring she discovers hidden in the binding of a centuries old prayer book; a ring that seems to be hers by more than mere coincidence.

The historical Lady Jane's story is told by her seamstress/dress-maker, Lucy.  A commoner that is able to make her own choices in marriage and in life.  And in the end, both Lady Jane and modern-day Jane find that they too have the power to choose, and that they had it all along.

Please be so kind as to rank this review below!! Thank you so much!

16 comments:

Helen Anne said...

Sounds like a really good book. I'm now on the waiting list at the library for it. Thanks

Ann said...

Another book for my list...

Elena said...

Wow! Your blog looks just like mine! Love it!

Cara Putman said...

What a really cool review! Love the artwork piece!!!

Alex said...

Very cool indeed! And I do agree with the quote, the choice is always in your hand ^^

Virginia Smith said...

Lady in Waiting is a terrific book, and your artwork review is every bit as beautiful as the book!

Trece said...

I just love looking at your pages.

DALowe Artist said...

i am so thrilled & honored by all your comments! But the fact that brilliant authors whose work i read & admire take the time 2 visit & comment just rocks my world!! Thank u! I got an e-mail from Deborah Raney this a.m.! So happy! Ms. Smith, i've read third time's a charm & have the rest of that series in my tbr pile. WOW!

Kelly said...

Great book review. I am going to see if my library has it! Thanks for sharing it. Great journal page about it as well.

Susan Meissner said...

Deborah, as Johnny Depp said in Chocolat, I am undone! Your talent floors me. Amazing. Don't suppose you ever part with your art, do you?

Christa Allan said...

I started Susan's novel one afternoon, and I simply could not close the covers until I'd finished. Her book and your artistic review...lovely.

Anonymous said...

Love the artwork. It really peaks my interest in the read!

DALowe Artist said...

Okay I am doing a happy little dance in my living room, hugging my daughter, screaming and smiling, I think I might just explode! Susan Meissner - whose books I have read and who is one of my all-time favorite authors just commented about my review of her book and my artwork!! Hallelujah! I think I may just have to faint! Susan Meissner wants to know if I will part with my artwork! Oh my goodness gracious!
I am truly honored and blessed by all your comments. Thank you so much!

Girl Schmuck said...

Awesome art work as always Deborah. Make sure you post your review of the book, not just the link on our group.

Amy in Florida

Unknown said...

I just read your wonderful review and examined closely your lovely artwork, and had a wonderful thought...what if we had been able to write our book reports like this in high school!?

Mary DeMuth said...

OK, you are my new favorite blog! I'm adding you to my google reader. That's the coolest book review I've seen in a long time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...