Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

On Doodling...Is it Art? ED in May 19 Journal Pages



To Doodle or Not to Doodle; that is the question…



I’m pondering on doodling… is it art? Merriam-Webster defines ART as “the conscious use of skill and creative imagination in the production of aesthetic objects”.


I’ve learned that for me true art is self-expression – Art is what is produced with your skill and creative imagination. You first need to develop basic drawing and painting skills. That takes work and practice. Once you have learned the rules and have the foundation of good skills in the fundamentals of art – then you can EXPLORE and PLAY using the skills you’ve acquired and honed, but art becomes personal and expressive when you put in the Creative Imagination. Only you can do that. Art comes from you, from me – from the heart and soul of who we are! Like handwriting every original work of art and every artist’s work are different. Style - then is the way each individual artist uses his/her skills and creative imagination to create an aesthetic object.


I am finding that when I create a journal page or draw (“doodle”) from my imagination, that is when my artist child – my true artist self – feels most free and most happy. Splashing color and really EXPRESSING what’s inside me – that’s art for me.

Only when I’m splashing color and drawing, painting, collaging with abandon, confident in my ability to produce results but not caring if I don’t, do I really understand what Henry James is saying – PROCESS. Creative play. Freedom of self-expression.
“Art makes life, makes importance, and I know of no substitute for the force and beauty of its process.” – Henry James


I think of Traci Bautista, Teesha Moore, Kelly Rae Roberts, Mati Rose, SARK and others who have their own style – their own signature style – not like anyone else in the world – playful, creative, colorful, child-like – I am so inspired by these amazing women.

Then I think of Cezanne, Monet, Matisse, Degas, Van Gogh, Picasso – different art altogether – more serious art maybe – because … why? Because it was in oil and on canvas? And in a gallery? – Because it was less child-like and more realistic in some cases?… but was it? Cezanne’s distorted perspective; Matisse’s bright graphic images; and Picasso’s abstract cubism; Degas, Monet, Van Gogh, Gaughin – realism but with a twist – all about light and each with his own style – very recognizable one from the other. All had their subjects that they most often painted – Degas, the dancer; Monet, waterlilies; Van Gogh, peasant life and sunflowers; Cezanne, still life and Mont Sainte-Victoire; Gauguin and Tahitian figures and landscapes. Me - when I paint from my heart, I get flowers, teacups, whimsical still-lifes and interiors – very bright colors – almost to the point of garishness. But that is what I get. That is what I see and feel and that is what I must express!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Timaree said...

I have that quote in a Mary Englebreit picture of a girl working on her art hanging right in front of me. It's in my art area. I love that quote.

I think you've put down a great definition of art. Why is it art only when it's declared so by some critics? I like your description of taking what skills we have along with our creativity and coming up with an expression of something unique to us. Hopefully it also speaks to someone else but that is extra. Your art speaks to me of happiness and joy. I enjoy it everytime I look at it. I am sure I could read someone else's to be sad or mad but it wouldn't make me feel good. That doesn't make it less artful, it just doesn't fit me. Anyhow, I enjoyed your post. Lets go make more art!

Alex said...

Doodling is an art no doubt about it. I think Life itself is an art =) Everyday we struggle to make ends meet, and we use all kinds of ideas, creativity, skills and careful planning to get things done, so that we could do it all over again the next day. I would say if everyone in the world is represented by a dot, and the planet itself is the canvas, the amount of art trail we generate each day must be something amazing.
^^ Anyway, yes...I agree that Doodling is an art, no doubt about it.

Shalini said...

Definitely an art... Your doodle is a colorful, pretty artwork in my eyes.. and if it has come from your heart, and made you happy, would you not call it art :)!? I loved it..

Unknown said...

Definitely art! And yours is happy and joyful! I love your definition here, and the quote. I have such a hard time considering myself an "artist", like it is so far out of reach.

MaryO said...

Deborah, your discussion of art and its meaning has served to awaken the passion for art that I was afraid I was losing, and for that I am grateful to you. And you're right, art is MUCH more than the critics would have us believe and more accessible than the elitists want us to know.
I am not going to enter your very generous giveaway because I already have calligraphy supplies (which I never use...sigh) but congratulations on your 10,000 posts and I'll look forward to that many more!

Ann said...

I like your definition of art. No need to worry about labels or someone else's definition. Keep creating from your heart because that's what really matters :-)

donna said...

Of course it is art. And more importantly, it makes you happy. You are quickly developing a recognizable style!

Connie Michael said...

I love doodling and sketchbooking, and even blogging, but unfortunately, I fall behind in my blogging far too rapidly. Good for you for enjoying the process. I'm enjoying your process, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...