Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Every Day in May Journal Pages 23, 24, and 25





Today's journal page wasn't filled with quite as much "joy". My daughter's corgi, Peanut, passed away either last night or early this morning. We found him this morning, had to grieve, and then leave for work and school. Grace had an end-of-year test today. (In Virginia they are called SOL's for Standard of Learning.) She wanted to take his collar off. I had to do it. I've never gone near a dead animal and I've never touched anything or anyone who was dead. I think I took this harder than anybody, including Grace, maybe because I had to touch him. His eyes were open.

He'd been sick for 2 weeks, but going downhill for a while. I chose not to take him to the vet but to let nature run its course, since we got him a few years ago and weren't sure how old he was. When he began to get sick, he went downhill very fast. I think he had cancer because there was a tumor on his underside that had been there for some time. I felt such guilt because I didn't take him to the vet and I was afraid my daughter would blame me. I picked her up from school and we talked and I learned that she didn't blame me and had been preparing herself for the past two weeks since he had been really sick. She said she felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders because she didn't have to worry about him anymore.

I couldn't think about much else today, so my journal page at lunch just naturally had to be in memory of Peanut, or Peanut-butter, as I affectionately referred to him. Grace has two other dogs; both half-Goldens, a brother and sister. We got them as puppies not too long after we got Peanut. I'm so thankful she has them to love and help her through the loss of Peanut.

On a brighter note, the evening ended well. We went down to my sister's and she has a gorgeous, bountiful cherry tree in her front yard. While she fixed our supper, I went out for some cherry-pickin'. It was so much fun! So peaceful...nature is so many things...death, life, bounty, want, beautiful days, stormy skies. I have felt God's hand in all things today. I feel close to my Father tonight. I'm thankful for His love through all our many emotions and naturally occuring events. He is ever faithful and will never leave us comfortless.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Timaree said...

I feel bad for all of you. I have had to put down several animals and lost a cat to the coyotes. It's not easy. I am glad you have the other dogs.

If it was cancer the only thing you'd have done differently (unless you have thousands of dollars) is to have put him right down rather than let him go on his own. I'm glad your daughter doesn't blame you.

Your pages are terrific. You'll enjoy this page on Peanut Butter later on and your daughter will too.

Alex said...

Such happy looking pages. The colors are so bright and joyful, and the drawings and writings are adorable =)
Makes my hearts fluttery looking at these

Jennifer Edwards said...

Deborah, you have a definite style to all your pages! Color, graphic art, free and bold. Even the page in remembrance of your daughter's dog, is full of life and celebration. So sorry for the loss of your furry family member.

Ann said...

So sorry about Peanut, I know how hard it is to lose a pet. A vet probably wouldn't have been able to do much for him anyway. You made a lovely memory page for him. And your other pages are fantastic as always!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about Peanut! But, I think even on sad days, your light still shines!

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for your lose of a beloved pet. The page you made for him is a wonderful tribute. On a brighter note, I love the Joy page. Absolutely wonderful, so very colorful and cheerful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...