Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

My Rare Find!





I wanted to share my rare find of the day!! An old (not sure how old) watercolor set made by J. L. Hammett Company. Surprisingly these watercolors are very responsive to rewetting and came to life instantly, as you can see from the sample underneath the pans; and then on the right is a background I created using the red, yellow, and blue - on Winsor & Newton 140 lb cold press paper. It surprises me how bright the colors are. I believe this is a student grade paint, but it responds like artist's quality.

Does anyone know about this watercolor set? Maybe how old it is and what grade paint this is?

I am so excited about it. A friend brought it to me today. I plan to use the watercolors that are in here and then reuse the palette for my good tube colors. These tins are metal and will make great travel sets.

My plan for the weekend is to take a break from posting on my blog, try to limit my computer time, and work on the colored pencil zinnia I started and posted yesterday (http://daloweartist.blogspot.com/2009/09/waxing-poetic-about-colored-pencils.html). My fibromyalgia pain has kicked in and I ache all over today, so I think limiting my time in front of a computer, sitting at a desk is a very good idea.

My daughter is having a big party at our house tomorrow night, so we'll have a yard full of 8th graders :-) That in itself should limit my time on the computer!

I hope everyone has a great weekend and please come back on Monday when I hope to have the finished zinnia in colored pencil!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Heidi Mac said...

My 8th grader had a super time at your party. What a neat idea! It was wonderful meeting you and seeing your work on this blog again. I love that your studio is a part of your everyday life. The joy you have is evident in your art.

Heidi Mac said...

My 8th grader had a super time at your party. What a neat idea! It was wonderful meeting you and seeing your work on this blog again. I love that your studio is a part of your everyday life. The joy you have is evident in your art.

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you Heidi! It was wonderful meeting you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...