Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Waxing Poetic about Colored Pencils

1 2
5 x 7 colored pencil in progress

I go through phases – where I’m absolutely enamored, obsessed, and overtaken by a certain medium or technique; as is the case now with colored pencils. This versatile medium has once again caught my fancy. I began using colored pencils many years ago. I started out with Prismacolor brand and have never found one that has surpassed them in my experience. The softness is almost sensual as you lay the color down in feathery strokes. The immediacy of this medium is part of its charm. You just pick it up and draw with no mess and no preparation. That wonderful sharp point, the way the soft colored pencil feels in your hand as you apply it to the paper; it’s a meditative process – I become so engrossed in achieving the right color mix. My work in colored pencil is very realistic. I haven’t figured out how to use colored pencils any other way. That sharp point just tends to lead me to a realistic rendering of the photo before me. The control is something else that I love. I cannot achieve control like this in any other medium. I think attempting to with a brush would be very tedious – but with the pencil, the realism flows naturally – everything flows naturally.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

MaryO said...

It looks lovely so far, Deborah. I'll look forward to seeing it finished!

Leona Ellsworth said...

Wow...I think this is your medium!

Alex said...

YAY!! I really like this one and can't wait to see the finished product! Work-in-progress is always fun, and I like doing it as it helps me to remember what I did, and wonder if the final drawing would look any better if I did it differently.
Color pencils are fun, but it's so tough! >_< I remember grunting while doing it, because it takes so much energy to lay colors on the paper... but usually the result is satisfying and pleasing, like this one!

Katy said...

Lovely drawing and lovely prose!

Alan said...

Looks good. I am partial to the color pencil myself

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful so far! Kudos to you for having the patience for colored pencils! I've done them before, long ago, but I was much more patient then than I am now!

jennifer said...

these are wonderful already - i appreciate you sharing the process...as a relatively new 'dabbler' in drawing & doodling, it is nice to see the steps ... not to mention it's nice to see that even talented artists pace themselves as they pursue creative wonder!
:-) thank you again for sharing!

Ann said...

Your drawing is off to a wonderful start! I know what you mean about going through phases with media. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who does that! And I also really like that meditative quality of working with colored pencil. There's nothing else quite like drawing with cp :-)

DALowe Artist said...

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging comments and visit to my blog! I hope I can finish this sometime this week. It's been a busy weekend! The good thing about colored pencils - you can start and stop and work on a piece in stages for as long as you need - no worry about drying time or disturbing the washes underneath, etc. I just keep thinking of the good points of this medium!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...