Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

A relaxing Saturday at home

Going through lots of good art magazines - it's like having new ones when you've not looked at them in a while.

I admit I'm having trouble completing the colored pencil zinnia in earlier posts. Today I'm not feeling well and I don't want to mess it up, so I'm doing other things and thought I'd share my day with you. It might be rather boring to some, but to me it is ABSOLUTE BLISS!!
I completed the gouache painting below in my sketchbook last night. Not feeling quite up to par I needed something fun and funky with bright colors. I was actually inspired by the September 16 episode of "That's Clever" on HGTV. The first artist had a painting hanging over her work area that looked a little bit like this. I wish she'd been demonstrating it instead of the one she did. She paints in acrylic and then goes over it and outlines, adds details with a black marker. Check it out at http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/the-armadillo-and-the-manatee-canvas-banner/index.html

Anyway, here (below) is my sketch based on this inspiration.



I made up this soup recipe in my head yesterday on the way home from work and below is a still life I set up with some of the ingredients before I cut them all up for the soup. I plan to sketch this later.




The third picture shows the soup all put together and cooking; yum!!
I can give you the ingredient list, but I have no idea about the quantities of the spices or celery and onions. Just a dash here and there.
Here you go:

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
  • 2 12 oz packages of frozen corn
  • 2 15 oz cans of black beans rinsed and drained
  • chopped onions and celery - I think it was about 3 1/2 stalks celery and 2 medium size sweet onions
  • 2 cloves garlic (chopped in with the onions)
  • a shake (?) of dried cilantro (maybe 2-3 tablespoons?)
  • cayenne pepper
  • chili powder
  • red pepper (the spice, not the real thing)
  • 2 16 oz containers of chicken broth (Swanson's in carton)
  • 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
  • about 4 or 5 15 oz cans water
  • sea salt
  • black pepper
  • sugar
I hope this is good. I have no idea how it might turn out. But it sounded like just the thing for my feeling "under the weather".

Now, last but not least, I want to show you this amazing tea I just made. What's better for a brochitisy bug than hot tea with honey and fresh lemon?!



This is good stuff!

AAAHHHH! Pure bliss :-)

Happy Saturday everyone !!!


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ann said...

I hope you are feeling better soon :-) That soup should do the trick, it sounds delicious. I do that too, think of things that might go well in a soup and then go for it. It always turns out - when you cook a lot you develop good instincts. I like your cheerful painting. Just what the Dr. ordered for this dreary day!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bright picture - very cheering. I think that your tea-mug must have some cheering and healing qualities of its own, let alone when filled with the lemon and honey tea! Hope you are feeling much better now.

Alex said...

Beautifully inspired Zinnia :) I love the cuteness and all the colors on it. I am sorry that you're not feeling good, and I hope that you'll get well really soon. The soup and the lemon honey tea should be somehow magical when it comes with getting rid of flu.

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you, Ann and marancat! Your comment gave me encouragement and lifted my spirits. The soup was really good btw! Hopefully today I can make more cheering art. Marancat, you're right - the cup itself is a cheering work of art. I got it at Starbucks - my daughter talked me into buying it - bless her heart!

Unknown said...

This is a fun painting! I really like it. And the soup sounds wonderful, I may even try making it in a week or two when it cools off a little more! Hope you are feeling better.

Dan Kent said...

Fun Zinnia! I like how the black brings out the bright colors! Enjoyed following your day..feel better.:)

Gary said...

I agree with Dan (as usual) the black makes the color seem like stained glass. (Perhaps another warm thought to help you feel better). Ann does make good soup and we freeze it in batches for the rest of the week. Get well - and rest.

Patty Ruthe said...

A great fun painting, I like it!

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all very much for your kind words and encouraging comments!

Aurileide Alves said...

Deborah it was really relaxing Saturday... Loved the paintings and all those sketchbooks on the floor...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...