Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Room of Her Own

copyright Deborah A. Lowe 8/19/09

I was in a meeting today that lasted from 8:30 to 1:00. At about 12 noon I zoned out completely and invented the room above from my imagination. This page is in my moleskine and only fills up half of the left hand page; so it's only about 3" x 4". I started with the table and then built up the entire scene piece by piece in pencil - first the table, then I added flowers and didn't like that so I erased, next the books and the coffee cup, then the chair, the rug and the window; then the plant and the curtains and lastly I decided it had to be a room full of books, so I added the bookshelves on the back wall. Once I got it all worked out in pencil I went over it in ink. Once I got back to my office I added the colored pencil. The table and curtains are actually aquamarine, but appear blue in the picture above.

I have never gotten so lost in a scene before. I literally felt detached completely from my surroundings and like I was literally in this room - when I "came out" I had no idea what had been said in the meeting and it was like I was sort of in a fog. It was a wonderful feeling, yet rather strange. It was so much fun to imagine and create this scene from nothing.

Enter my room and feel the peace and quiet and the sunlight coming in the windows... smell the cup of tea on the table. I'd like to do a series with this - A room of one's own...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

Well, that's a room I think I could cozy up in! Very nicely done. nancy

MaryO said...

That's just lovely. I want that room!

Art is for the Making said...

I can't think of a better way to get through a long meeting!! Great job. I wish I could draw from my imagination. I envy you that talent. Nice room!

Peachtreeart said...

Don't you hate when that happens? Zone out at a meeting I mean, oh well at least you spent you time zoning productively!

Aurileide Alves said...

Your room is the ideal place for reading and meeting ouserves. Guess it exists in my imagination too. Great work! Hope you can do the serie as you wish.

Katy said...

I love it! I haven't tried drawing from my imagination much. Just little doodles here and there. Mainly during the sermon! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...