Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Handmade Books and Journals Class

My friend Karen and I took a class Tuesday night called "Handmade Books and Journals" - taught by Kathy Vincent (gallery.webfresco.com/) It was one of the greatest experiences involving art I've had in a long time. We had the most perfect day! We indulged in all my favorite things - hers too, which was really amazing. We left work at noon, went to a fun and very good restaurant for lunch, then to Borders bookstore where I bought the new issue of "Artful Blogging" by Somerset Studios with Laura Frankstone's article in it (YEAH!! Laura) (http://laurelines.typepad.com/). Karen also bought me the new issue of "Where Women Create", also by Somerset Studios, with Mary Engelbreit on the cover! What a sweet and thoughtful friend she is. She said it was to help me with gas, and I wanted to argue, I did argue a little, but I was so excited to think of getting TWO fantastic art magazines that I was quick to relent before she changed her mind - Then of course I gave her a great big hug and thanked her profusely.

After Border's we were off to our class - the class was at Iggy's Art Supply(http://iggysartsupply.com/). Boy, were we in for a treat!! I found that they carry Caran d'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons OPEN STOCK!!! along with a lot of different pencils, pens, etc., all available as open stock. What a great store this is! I will visit many more times. Now about our class...

My very first book - pamphlet stitch, with one section



Below is the second book I made - I'm not crazy about the size and shape, but it might be good for landscape sketches if turned sideways. I like the binding on this book very much - it's still a pamphlet stitch, but with 4 sections and slits cut into the spine.


Thank you Kathy Vincent for a fun and worthwhile class! I enjoyed it so much! Please visit Kathy's website and take a look at her beautiful art.

I have so much more to share - I hope you aren't tired of reading - I've been busy with art lately and I can't wait to tell you all about it...


Above are some new supplies I bought at Iggy's:

new Caran d'Ache crayons to add to my collection, 2 Design Ebony Pencils, Titanium White Maimeri Gouache, an eraser, and last but not least my first Faber Castell Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils. I went back to Iggy's today because I liked it so much Tuesday! Lookout pocketbook - I've got it bad.

I don't know if you remember, but I made this pact/rule for myself in May that I would not buy any more art supplies or books for one year. Well, I cannot keep that rule - it was made to be broken - life without new books or art supplies I find quite dull. I am trying...but...who can resist a new art supply store with open stock supplies - who I ask you???? And who can resist a used book sale, or a 40% off coupon to Borders - not me, not me, my friend. I am not that strong. In the words of Henry Ward Beecher, "Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" That also applies to art supply stores I believe.

Speaking of books: I found this one in a used book sale last week

The copyright date is 1964. It's a little pocket size "golden handbook" and the price is $1.00. With 160 pages, it's a really good reference on the "techniques of handling oil, watercolor and casein. It's in very good condition - I could not resist.
I will have to post more tomorrow - it's way past my bedtime and I have to work tomorrow. Until then dear friends...

7 comments:

Art is for the Making said...

What fun! Homemade books are wonderful. Hope you fill up your new book with lots of good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Deborah, cool handmade journal! Do you live here in the Winston-Salem area?? I teach at Iggy's, but live in Kernersville. I'm an EDM gal, and fellow artist and believer. I'm so glad you found Iggy's, even if you are out of town (Virginia?). It's a fabulous store with great folks who run it.

Shirley said...

I love your books! And can feel your excitement. Wait until you start looking at bookbinding books, tools, and supplies! I have a method for recycling books, which I love to fill with watercolor paper, on my blog in the Bookbinding category. Here is the exact URL for the method:
http://www.paperandthreads.com/2008/03/recycling_an_old_book_as_a_wat.php

vickylw said...

A post full of treasures! I LOVE binding watercolor journals, as well as new art supplies and bookstores. Great job!

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time! And I have some of the old Henry Gasser books, they're terrific!

G-Lori said...

The Golden book on painting is a treasure. Those types of finds are what I look for in used book fair sales, yard sales, etc.

Katy said...

I can't resist either. I'm doing better, however. No Blick orders recently! I did stumble upon a fab art store called Binders when I was in Atlatna, and I bought a few things. I stopped in a Michael's and JoAnn's yesterday while in Savannah, but I stuck with my list...pretty much. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...