Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Day of Play

Oh hi!  It's raining pretty hard!  Come on in and pull up a pillow!  Today is Saturday, I have the house to myself...


















and what better way to spend a rainy Saturday alone than in the living room floor playing.

Here's a WIP and a finished piece.  I started this yesterday with white oil pastel resist, just drawing circles and a "frame" around the picture.  Then I added the cobalt violet watercolor over the whole piece - with some quinacridone rose thrown in.  When it was dry I wiped over it with a paper towel to expose more of the resist.




And today, I added all sorts of playful stuff with markers and colored pencils.  I just played and had so much FUN with this! Just making up the shapes and colors of the flowers as I went along.

Finished piece - 5 x 7 W/N watercolor paper

















I started out the day in my sketchbook. Looking through "Country Living" magazines, I found a picture of birdhouses and drew the little ones below.  I had drawn the house about a week ago.  I added some little details to it... check out the BUTTERFLY!!!  I found him outside KFC in the parking lot last Sunday. He was already deceased! I used gel medium to put him in my sketchbook and then drew him below in Warm Gray 90% Prismacolor.  I plan on using him in some future drawings, but will probably use all sorts of different colored designs on his wings.




















Below is a finished little flower painting with watercolor pencils and Prismacolor colored pencils used dry for more texture.

5 x 7 on W/N Watercolor paper

 

And the next two little black and white drawings are the beginnings of future paintings...this being sort of the skeleton of how I start usually.  Just designing a picture and then adding tons of color and texture...



BOOKS, BOOKS, and more BOOKS!!
Just thought I'd share my collection with you! 


Happy Saturday!
Hope you enjoyed our play session :-)
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Tyanne said...

I love your bright happy flower paintings. I am not familiar with oil pastels. Do they smear or rub off like soft pastels do?

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you Tyanne! They smear, they have an oily feel sort of like oil paint. You can get them at any art supply store. Mine are cheap Sakura Cray-Pas Junior artist pastels.

Anonymous said...

I had a craft day too! I invited a friend over and helped her make her first scrapbook page. It was fun! We worked for about five hours ... I love doing things like that. Good (rainy) day crafting!

Alex said...

The drawings reflect so much fun and joy! Sometimes it is so much relaxing to have the house all by yourself...you could achieve so much or absolutely nothing at all, but in your case it's the former ^^ great job!

Unknown said...

Whew! Thank you for that! I needed this sort of day badly!

nanke's stuff said...

Bright and happy colors and subjects - perfect for a day of play! nancy

Timaree said...

These look like you had a fun time. Thanks for sharing how you start off your pictures. Your flower pics look simple in a way but not simple too. I really like them.

Do you use fixative over the oil pastels if you use them in your journal? I hear of people using these and charcoal but I don't want the smears. It's bad enough I forget what kind of marker I am using and have had them bleed through to a finished page!

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you, Melanie, Alex, Raena, and Nancy! Melanie that sounds like you had a similar fun day! Raena, glad I could help - come over anytime :-)

Thank you Timaree!
The oil pastels actually don't seem to smear in my journal. The trick is letting the page dry for a few days if you use them heavily on a page. I used them on a full page in my Aquabee journal and just put some wax paper in between the two pages - it worked fine. If you're just using the pastel for resist you shouldn't need to bother at all. It doesn't smear. Hope this helps :-)

Ann said...

Oh, I do want to play at your house! It looks like so much fun! I love your flower paintings and those black and white studies for future paintings are very inspiring. I can't wait to see where you take them!

Dan Kent said...

Looking at your process is great fun! I have not used resists - much try it. The result is vibrant and fun! And I love the plain line drawings as well!

(I feel a bit sorry for the butterfly, but then again - (s)he is now great art!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...