Pages

Friday, July 02, 2010

Beach Journaling, Painting, and Other Meanderings

This was my perch for an entire day. The breeze from the ocean was great and I painted and read and drank tea and ate biscotti. Perfect.





























This painting is the result. It's on a 5x7 piece of Winsor & Newton 140lb. CP watercolor paper. I used Inktense pencils and watercolor and then had to have some glitter glue for the roof.  The white foam is oil pastel resist. I also used white oil pastel resist for the porch banisters and the window and door frame. I love how this technique works! I'm using cheap oil pastels, which obviously work well, but I would like to invest in the Sennelier brand, just to see if there is a difference.

Now I'm going to try and go in some order with the journal pages in the lined journal. My grocery list once we arrived at the beach on the left side of the page and notes driving down there on the right.


The receipt from our lunch and more driving notes.


















A page in my new Aquabee Super Deluxe Sketchbook Size 11x14. Love these huge pages. I think my house window looks very angry - I might work on it later...















Now back to the journal...








































































Bought this fantastic find, which has been on my wishlist for several months, at Two Sisters Bookery in Wilmington.










Found this too - a new sketchbook - who can resist!?




And the title page documenting where I purchased and when.




I made a little arrangement from the flowers out back and we had a "party" grilling steaks outside one evening. So much fun!




I will continue later - right now I'm frustrated with trying to post all this and ready for bed! So happy to be home!! HOME!
There is no place like home...no place like home...
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Alex said...

Awesome journal pages! ^^

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Great to see your beach journalling! Thanks for sharing!!

K said...

Sounds like a perfect day, sitting on that porch and sketching! Great final sketch, too. I have that same book you picked up - good resource.

craftieodmae said...

Gorgeous sketches and journaling. Sounds as if you had a wonderful time!!! Rest up, come Tue it's back to normal LOL.

Anonymous said...

I loved looking at all your sketches, photos and your journal in general. I have two journals that I keep like this but never have seen anyone elses, so it was wonderful to have a glimpse of a "kindred spirit!" Thanks!

Elizabeth Golden said...

Wish I had known you were in Wilmington I would have met you at Two Sisters and taken you to lunch at Elijah's. Love all your sketches, and so glad you enjoyed your time here.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, you have lots of journals going here... it would be interesting for you to try a blank journal for writing and your drawings rather than lined.....I also keep a written journal but it is a personal and spiritual one, just for me to see. I'm try to have all my other writings, lists and drawings in one book.

Elizabeth

Timaree said...

Great journal pages. I'd say your experiment into journaling all in one book worked out great. Looks like you had time for your art and shopping. Isn't that the best vacation?

pedalpower said...

What a wonderful place to be sketching! The oil pastels as a resist is a great idea...I may have to give that a try!

Dorothy said...

I love this! thanks for taking us along on vacation to the beach with you! Lovely journal sketches!!

Dorothy

Dorothy said...

Hi Deborah,

I've been catching up on all my "feedblitz" blogs and just spotted your beach vacation blog. Then I clicked on your blog and saw this one about your "aha" moment. I sure can identify with what you had experienced. I took Cathy's journaling class as well and I have always struggled with writing in my "good" sketch journal too. I think you've hit upon the perfect solution...just two journals...and you can sketch/lightly paint the pages in your writing journal too.
Perfect!!! Isn't it wonderful not having that "can't spoil these good pages" thoughts any longer?
Nice blog!

Dorothy

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed seeing all these. You're adapting well to your lined journal and I love your aquabee painting. It makes me want to go on vacation so I have something 'different' to record!

Gina said...

Beautiful!!! Sounds so relaxing and your pages are great, thanks for sharing! What watercolor palette is that? Looks like a nice one.

Cathy Holtom said...

The porch looks so cool and relaxing, with a great view...just right for a day's sketching!

Anonymous said...

ahhh. Peace and tranquility, yes?!
Delightful entries Deb.

Christie said...

Oil pastel, eh? What a great trick, and just the answer for something I need to paint.

Loved looking at your journals.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks for the book hint. I just ordered it. Beautiful beach entries.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...