Pages

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Happy Fourth of July





Fireworks last night at the park...

America...One Nation Under God



I made this page in my Handbook Journal - drawn with Pigma Micron Brush pen, colored with watercolor and colored pencils.



This page has many, many layers.  I can't seem to just make a drawing in this Handbook Journal. I layer.  First I sat outside on the swing and drew a realistic drawing of my zinnias in Design Ebony pencil. Then I added watercolor, and then more watercolor, and then more watercolor, and then colored pencil and more watercolor...then salt, which didn't really react very well... and then white colored pencils to pop out the flower more from the background...then the border with Cool Gray # 20 Prismacolor...and here is the final product. Which amazingly enough, I like.

And lastly here are some pages of just notetaking - seeing things in nature and recording them.  The first is in my Handbook Journal and the second is a page in my lined journal.  I still have too many journals, but what better problem can one have...?  The point is, I'm writing and sketching, and then in my Handbook Journal I'm doing more finished pages with lots of different mediums (by the way, when you're referring to a bunch of different art supplies, do you say "Mediums" or "Media"?  I'm feeling a bit confused about this...)


































 

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Mixed Media Martyr said...

Thanks for sharing your pages and your July 4th celebrations!! Just a cold winter day here in New Zealand! Love the Zinnias with all the layers. I do pages with lots of layers... I just seem to keep going and going until something says STOP! Leanne.

craftieodmae said...

these are fantastic! We did the race last night but it wasn't as good as in the past!

Timaree said...

Very nice pages. I love all that color. Your photos are fantastic!

I don't know about the mediums/media thing. I think it's rather complicated when we use lots of stuff. If it were just watercolor or oils I'd say each was a different medium but when you use so many things together well, I guess that's why they say mixed-media. Maybe media is plural of medium? I'm just making guesses here.

Gina said...

I love all the colors! Your paintings are so happy and cheerful. Nice work! I think a lot of us suffer from the problem of too many journals. Maybe it's not such a "problem" after all.

Creatively Lisa said...

Those pages are great. I'm loving the fact that you are walking us through some kind of thought process from journal to journal. I am learning so much from everyone. A sketch journal, a writing journal and a journal where all your finished thoughts come together is a great idea.

Unknown said...

These are wonderful pages! Happy July 4th!

Oh, I believe media is correct. Medium is Latin I believe. I think it sounds strange to us because of our other uses for the words media and medium!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deborah! I've enjoyed following your posts lately-just haven't had time to comment. I really love the top two pieces on this post! They are, to me, signature Deborah! I do like the posting from today (white pitcher) and you should totally go with it, exploring where your fancy goes. But I hope you continue the fanciful swirls and florals you do so well with bright colors!! When I see them, they are so happy, and I think "yep, those are definitely Deborah". Keep up all the wonderful work...or "play":)

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all so much for all your encouragement...and for straightening out the media/medium question LOL

Thank you Jennifer (drawn2life) for you comment - I admire your work so much and value your opinion!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...