Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Today's Sketch - my latte mug and birds



Continuing with my limited art supplies - a Pigma Micron pen (sz 03 and 08 used here), a watersoluble graphite pencil and a Niji waterbrush. I accidently picked up a Cretacolor MONOLITH pencil instead of AQUAmonolith and drew the shadows in the cup. Then it got pretty dark and somber the more I added with the correct pencil. But it matches this gray, cold winter day. And the fact that I'm home sick again this afternoon.

Thank you all for your comments on my first sketch in this series of black and white, limited supplies drawings. I can't imagine not having the support, encouragement and understanding of my online artist friends! You are all so wonderful and helpful.

And yes, I highly recommend you pull The Creative License off the shelf and see it with fresh eyes. I had gotten so bogged down with all the materials and styles available that I just felt lost, confused, and stuck. This newfound focus is just what I needed. Creativity is great, but we also need discipline and practice, and focus. I'm thankful I've found it at last. Hopefully after this little jaunt with black and white I can return to using color with more skill and more understanding of what I want to say with my art. I think we can get lost in all the media and forget or never find out who we are.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Carol Bonomo said...

The page is wonderful, and your words are right on. Thank you for putting it out there.

nanke's stuff said...

I don't have The Creative License, but if this is what reading and following it leads to, I might just have to get a copy! nancy

Michelle said...

I love, love, LOVE these new sketches that you are doing! They are awesome. Keep sharing. I love seeing them.

Its about art and design said...

You've inspired me to search out the book.

martinepittet said...

Nice shadings again on this one ! It gives a sort of "mysterious" atmosphere to the sketch.

Johanna said...

I completely agree with what you say. I think we need both boundries and freedom to blossom creatively. Limitations are not always limitation, but can be the seed to new ideas! I will definitely consider picking up a copy of the Creative License after this.

Well done.

kazumiwannabe said...

Nice work! The mug and table look beautiful, the shadows are so well done, very realistic!

donna said...

The new sketches really look good. I will be looking for Danny Gregory books later today.

Ramona Davidson said...

Lovely creative sketching. Glad you are being creative. Welcome to the Draw-It art group. I also, like you, am a member of Blissfully Art Journaling and Everyday Matters.

Alex said...

That's a beautiful mug! I must admit that I am not a big fan of coffee(or anything except cars and machinery stuff), but my wife is. Thanks for your comment on my last drawing. =)
I like the birds too!!

Sandy said...

Fantastic spread, and those shadows work perfectly! Get well Fast!

Timaree said...

I've got the book. It's a really good one. Just do it is the real motto for it and so true too. Great picture here. I really love how all the gray flows around the table for background and shadows.

A.Marie said...

I love this sketch and the one you did before. I had no idea there were water soluble graphite pencils out there. As much as I love color the black and white value drawings remain my favorite kind of art. I ordered my first water soluble graphite pencils today. I hope you keep this series going.

Linda T said...

This is such a great idea, the limiting of materials. Thanks for sharing it. Your sketches are wonderful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...