Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Simply Meditative



Meditative - Perfect way to spend lunchtime.
"Limiting" myself to pen and watersoluble graphite has Freed me - to observe, really observe all the little details. See how the center branch at the top comes toward the viewer - that was meant to be my focal point and hopefully comes across that way in the sketch. This sketch holds a lot of meaning for me - beauty and meaning. With these simple tools I was able to capture what I saw - what attracted me to this subject - the protruding limb at the top and the light and shadows. Funny...I have over 100 art-related books and about a million different art supplies and I captured it...with a simple pen, a pencil, and a waterbrush. Hmmm... something can be said for simplicity.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the texture of the tree. I've never heard of water soluable graphite. I'm learning so much about art supplies.

Linda T said...

Wow, this is really nice! Great line quality and sensitive feel to the drawing. Interesting idea to carry just those art tools. hmmmm...

Tammy Freiborg said...

Wow! You really observed and drew what you saw. I want to draw trees like this. Patience, time, determination, and using your eyes! Who needs a book?!

Johanna said...

Wow, you did a great job! I am very impressed with what you have done with your limited supplies. I might have to go out and get som of that water soluble graphite... And then again, I might have to limit myself to some of the stuff I do have. But I really like the idea of forcing som limitation to really look, and see the object.

Krista Meister said...

You've captured a lot of detail in this tree. Observing is key. And shhh..... you're not supposed to let on that you DON'T need all those art supplies and books - LOL - we NEED all those toys, if only to feel artistic! LOL

Cynthia said...

Your drawing has a beautiful quiet spirit which is what I usually feel when out and contemplating the trees and landscape. You've captured the restfulness and feeling of the tree and of time. Thank you for sharing your moments.

Ann said...

Lovely, poetic drawing.

Unknown said...

Incredible job! Did all of these tones come from one water-soluble pencil, or did you have a couple?

Timaree said...

You are doing great Deborah! This is a wonderful tree. You've got so much texture and detail in it. This is proving to be a great tool for you.

Ramona Davidson said...

Really good job capturing all the details. I love the composition and the feel of the drawing. Good art.

Anonymous said...

VERY nice treeeee! I love trees. You really captured it well!

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all so much for your comments. Raena, yes, all tones are from the one watersoluble graphite pencil. An amazing little tool I'm finding !

Minerva said...

You're tree is really good! You captured the essence :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...