Pages

Thursday, June 01, 2006

6/1/06 sketch - inspired by Laura Frankstone



I used to sketch a lot in pencil and watercolor. Seeing Laura's website made me want to go back to that. I did this from a photo at lunch today. I used a 9B woodless graphite pencil and Yarka Professional watercolors. This is a photo that I took of flowers I picked a couple of years ago on the roadside going home from work, in a McCoy pitcher I picked up at a flea market.
I am so inspired by Cezanne's watercolor and pencil paintings. I am definitely going back to this medium for a while. In doing my "doodles" I am missing the close observation and realistic sketching. There is nothing better than sketching en plein air in the summertime! I used to go on the backroads during my lunchtime and sketch. So I have a new goal - to post at least 2 or 3 a week like this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's lovely Deborah! I love your bowl and pitcher!
May I suggest a small change..? The front of your bowl, right in the middle of the lip/edge...it looks like it's attached to the pitcher. Just put a little bit more shading to give the idea the two ceramic piecces are separate from each other. If you look carefully at your photo you'll see the shading inside the rim actually goes across the middle portion too, just not as pronounced. But you still need a bit to show the the pieces are not attached at the mid point. The rim still casts a shadow onto the pitcher at that point. (Center front.)

Lin said...

ABSOLUTELY LOVELY!

Lin said...

ABSOLUTELY LOVELY!

Anonymous said...

What fun! You did an excellent job!! I can't wait to see more!

Penny said...

This is a lovely painting! I want to go out right now and paint some wildflowers which are in full bloom everywhere around here! Thanks for the inspiration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...