Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Saturday afternoon sketches


I did the colored pencil sketch (denim blue) from a photo as my warm up sketch before going to the neighbor's and sketching in their garden. I intended to sketch the sunflowers but when I got there I discovered Blueberry Bushes! Something I don't think I've ever seen - blueberries yes, but actually growing on a bush in a garden, no. It was a very nice surprise.

I took several photos so that I could go back later and do some more drawings and watercolors back in the comfort of my studio.




I was walking leisurely back to my own yard when I heard someone say, "Ma'am..." I turned to find the neighbor's daughter who just came out to find out why a stranger was walking through her yard. I had asked her father if I could sketch that morning. By that time it was 6pm and he had not shared with his family that I was coming over. It's funny how you can live within eyesight of someone and be a stranger. I don't know my neighbors, but they sure have a pretty garden. I explained that her father had given me permission that morning to come sketch. I showed her my sketches, and she seemed totally uninterested - just relieved that I wasn't some completely crazy person.

As I was walking back across the church yard (the church sits between my house and the neighbor's) the pastor stopped me and asked if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a piano. I just stared at him, because just that morning I had been thinking how much I missed my piano and how bad I wanted another one. The church is just getting started, several members have lost jobs, they didn't have a pianist, so he was wanting to sell the piano so that they could pay their rent. I went in to see the piano and we ended up singing and playing - he on the guitar and me on the piano - for several hours! I had the best time!

I can't decide whether to buy the piano. My husband says we have no room for it, which is true unless I can figure out something to get rid of or somehow rearrange it all - we have a tiny house. The piano has been sitting in the church which was unheated much of the winter and also rather damp, so I'm not sure if it is in good condition or if the dampness and cool temperatures may have damaged it inside. It has a rather strange twingy ? noise in it that occurs sometimes (almost sounds like a vibration) when you play, all the keys are in great shape and it looks great. I thought I might have someone come out and look at it and then go from there.

At any rate, I sure had an interesting Saturday evening :-)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rhonda L. Cooper said...

Wow! That is a crazy day! I think the universe heard you when you put out that you missed playing the piano. Have the piano checked out and if it is good go for it. I look forward to your drawing of the sunflowers.

Alex said...

Lovely sketches! :)

Anonymous said...

I do hope your piano wish comes true! Sounds like it was meant to be ....
The pencilled sunflowers look very promising - I look forward to seeing them completed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...