Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Feeling a little sketchy lately...


I sat down on the loveseat while my husband watched TV and did this 2-page spread of blind contour drawings. The subjects were vases, pitcher, seashells and books in the display cabinet. This was very relaxing, a lot of fun, and a great learning experience. I was surprised at the accuracy of some of the drawings. I've come a long way in 20 years when I first started doing these :-)
I used the Sanford Design Ebony Pencil. I highly recommend it! It's my favorite pencil to use for sketching and drawing.


Last night I sat out on the front porch with my daughter and talked and sketched the flowers. For the washes of color I used my Niji waterbrush and an Altoid tin filled with Yarka St. Petersburg refills (hot glued down of course).



Yesterday at lunch I pulled over on the side of the highway and sketched the scene above with Neocolor II watercolor crayons. Later I added gouache and then oil pastel and pencil. I like the way this turned out!

This scene has always drawn me in. The red barn and light-struck roof of the barn against the dark green of the trees and the mountains and sky beyond is just such a peaceful pastoral scene. It changes through each season, but summer and early spring are my favorites. I pass this everyday on the way to work.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

Lovely work. Your blind sketches are very good, and I like your watercolor paintings very much! nancy

Anonymous said...

Great contour sketches, love the flowers in watercolor

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...