Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Important Discoveries and EDinM # 11

Thanks to Liz Steel of http://borrominibear.blogspot.com/ who has inspired me so much. First of all, she knows that she is a "sketchbook artist only." She knows who she is, what she likes, and what her art is about. (Read her About Me section.) Decisive, focused, sure.
That's my goal - to know what I'm about, what I like, and what I need to be doing in my art. What are my goals and objectives for my art. That is a question that Roz http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up/ posed to me in an earlier conversation about supplies.

I can relate to so much of Liz Steel's blog. Deep down my passion is sketching in a sketchbook; however, I continually feel this need to prove my worth as a "real artist." That is something I must overcome. What in the world defines a "real artist?" I think in my mind it is someone who has a studio and works full-time, making a living at their art. That makes one a "real artist." Reminds me of how Pinocchio wanted to become a "real boy." What is this need in me? This need for validation and this search for self worth... Sometimes I try and satisfy this need with the purchase of new supplies - a new purchase everytime I read a reference to something I don't have in a blog, or sometimes I enter local art shows; I've joined a co-op gallery, rented a studio space only to find that didn't make me a real artist and didn't work out for me at all - none of it fulfilled the need. Because I suppose the need is something in me... something that I need to let go of.
I've spent the last week contemplating and soul-searching. The result - I've decided to put a buying freeze on myself for one year. I will buy no art supplies or books for one year. I will use that year to enjoy, use, and explore what I have already amassed. I compare it somewhat to bulemic binging and purging, only not with food, but with art supplies and books. It is a sickness and it is not healthy, financially or mentally. So until May 11, 2010, I will refrain (at my own choosing) from purchasing any new art supplies or books. During that time I hope I can relax, focus, and allow myself to detach and figure out what's really important to me, without so many distractions and overwhelming "things to do."

Having said all this, in keeping with this new goal and these discoveries, I have done two 2-page spreads for today's Every Day in May #11. Thanks to Liz Steel, I had the fresh realization (or perhaps epiphany) that my sketchbook is mine. It doesn't have to be restricted to only "original art" nor does it have to be restricted to only archival materials. It is for me to play, experiment, learn and grow. I can copy or make a mess and it's okay!! Basically, anything goes - because it's mine! What freedom! I have decided that starting today I will try drawing new things - especially people and not just draw things I'm most familiar with or like to draw the most - like flowers, teacups, birds, books, etc. But hard things, things that will push me, test me, strengthen me, and motivate me to learn and become a better artist. I will feel free to copy drawings from books, draw from photos in magazines, or anything else I feel like doing, because there are no rules!! Imagine! No rules! Why did I never think of that before ? So below are my beginning studies of drawing people. I may continue it or I may not - because there are ... you guessed it... NO RULES!!





Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Pippa * Jeanne said...

Wow, Deborah, thank you so much for sharing this insight. It inspires me SO much!

I'm excited to see what you produce now that you have given yourself the freedom in your sketchbook, and you've come closer to knowing WHO you are as an artist!

(: Pippa
Pippa's Porch(I just comment with my Blogger ID, so I can follow all the other comments, too!)

Karen said...

I think that is a wonderful discovery. More power to you - enjoy!

Shirley said...

I applaud your self-reflection and goals for the year. I decided that I didn't want to take art classes, because I could easily be derailed by absorbing "the rules." I need to keep playing and experimenting on my own to grow....

Sarah Ketelaars said...

Nice drawing and interesting insights too - you ARE a real artist, so keep breaking the rules!

Laura Frankstone said...

Deborah, this is wonderful! You have had such an important realization---I can feel the relief and resolve and also the joy radiating from your words.
I wish you the very best of luck.
Laura

Lynn said...

This is a very inspiring post. Good for you for having the courage to expand and grow. I like your sketches a lot. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

You are an artist if you say your work is art. People can agree or disagree. I have had enough of snobbery about art. Many galleries only think it is art if it looks like chicken tracks. My question is - 'who decides?'

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all so very much for all the encouragement and wonderful comments!!

Carol said...

It's good that you are allowing yourself breathing room, giving yourself permission to throw the rules out of the window and be free. Isn't that what a true artist is? Your post was very thought provoking. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i have a habit of hoarding my supply of nuts in anticipation of a winter or drought that hasn’t come! Sometime last year I decided to slow down on purchasing supplies and books and use what I already have. I have been about 80% successful on the purchase front. But unfortunately while I have started using the supplies liberally I have not been able to go through the books systematically. I've now switched to surfing for information on the net and again hoarding this for a future read!!! I'll be rooting for you.

Helen Anne said...

Deborah
I wish you joy on your journey. I hope you enjoy the exploration and come away with knowledge of what you love to do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...