Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Books that have influenced my development as an artist

This post is in response to Katy's (http://kathrynestelle.blogspot.com/) question to me in her comment on my post (http://daloweartist.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things-books.html). I thought I might share it with everyone, and pose the same question to you

"Which one of your books would you say has been the most helpful in your development as an artist?"


I've thought and thought about her question, and there is just no way I can choose ONE book. My favorites would be Cathy Johnson's Sketching in Nature and Painting in Nature; and Sketching School and Watercolor School are second to that. Making Color Sing by Jeanne Dobie was very valuable; Tony Couch's Watercolor: You Can Do It, which I don't have anymore; books on Cezanne, especially his watercolors; Christina Acosta's Paint Happy... Wow! I have a lot of books to credit with my development as an artist.

Experience is always the best teacher, that and lots and lots of practice. I'd have to say that when I started keeping a sketchbook in 1996 and sketches on loose sheets even before that - probably around 1990, that is when my art really started to develop. Not just my art, but me in general. Keeping a sketchbook is the one greatest thing I have done toward my development as an artist. And all these books by various artists have been invaluable to me.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Deborah, thank you for sharing your list! I have Sketching School, and Watercolor School is on my wish list. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind as well. And thanks for reminding me that I simply need to PRACTICE!

Merry Christmas!

Christie said...

The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron. Not about how to DO art, (I'd already learned a good bit of that) but all about allowing myself to do it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...