Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sunday's Sketching Trip



Armed with my bag filled with watercolors, a jar of water, brushes, a sketchbook, colored pencils, paint rags, a small spray bottle filled with water, a hat, pens, pencils ... (you get the picture) ... I sat forth on a mission to paint and sketch from nature.  What a beautiful day; although quite hot for the end of May.  The destination was Mabry Mill along the Blue Ridge Parkway; but on this trip, what caught my eye more than the oft sketched mill was the bridge alongside it where the Parkway goes over a stream that flows into the Mabry Mill Pond. It being Memorial Day Weekend, the place was teeming with people out enjoying the beautiful day.  I crossed the fence and sat with bugs, sun, sweat, curious onlookers, and all; but I was oblivious for a few moments so intent on the job joy of capturing the opening in this bridge and the way the light shone through. The scene had me transfixed.  I labored and sweated and swatted bugs and below is the result.  But it's much more than the sketch, the final outcome. You see, I did it. I accomplished my mission. I captured the scene and made a memory. And in the process I enjoyed the day, deeply engrossed in doing something that brought me a sense of accomplishment and great joy!



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

David R. Vallejo said...

Very good! Looks like lots of fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...