Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Lately I've fallen deeply in love with the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen! So deeply in fact that I found them on sale at Michael's a week ago and bought three (3!) extras with refills.  I bought my first one at Dick Blick and have already used up the first ink cartridge.  They do go fast; so stock up!  It takes a few sketches to really get the hang of this pen, but oh --- once you do, you can't stop!!!

The variation in the line that you can achieve almost effortlessly is just so much fun!

Below are some sketches I've done with this pen lately.



(This year I noticed the apple blossoms on a tree at the back of my property for the first time.  I don't know if it was this gorgeous spring we're having that made them bloom bigger and better or just that I finally "LOOKED", but wow!  I set up this little still life at work of them in a cobalt blue Carter's ink bottle! Luscious! )



The Pentel Pocket Brush Pen is so much fun to work quickly and capture the main lines, the essence of the subject; then add watercolor - and voila!  A gorgeous, fun sketch; and you've made a memory!


An after-prom dress-shopping-sketch - what a fantastic memory.  And this lamp post outside at O'Charlie's was worth enduring the cold breeze that was blowing in the late afternoon as we ate.  I think it was this sketch that made me fall deeply in love with the Pentel Pocket Brush pen :-)



The following sketch was done quickly with Tombow Dual Tip Markers. They're watersoluble!
It's like a marker full of rich, briliant watercolor!!  I love using these markers; it gives you a watercolor effect, but you can get the lines in too for more definition.  I always want to put lines with watercolor.  Watercolor (when I do it) just doesn't seem to me to stand on its own.  Or maybe I just love lines.




Joanne Sharp introduced me to these wonderful markers in her lettering classes I'm taking - check them out; you will be so happy that you did!

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Boud said...

Those drawings make me want to try it, too! even though I thought I was wedded to my Pilot Pen and wash! lovely work.

Kathy Vestal said...

I love the chair and the plant beside it. They just draw me in and make me smile!

Deborah Mahnken said...

These are beautiful!

teri said...

These are great!! I love my brush, too but yours seems to work better....

Jussara said...

Beautiful sketches! I love them all! Your lines and colours are nice! I'll begin to follow your blog today. It was a good finding... Thanks!

kazumiwannabe said...

Cool sketches, and you made me want to check this pen out, too!

Lynn said...

Love the apple blossoms in the blue vase.

Anonymous said...

lovely sketches - I like "simple is best"

nanke's stuff said...

Yep, you sold me on the brush pen! The Tombow markers are looking pretty good, too. I love what you've done with your new toys! nancy

Purrplekatt said...

Just beautiful!

Timaree said...

I keep forgetting to use this pen! I haven't used it enough to get used to it but I will pull it out today and do a contour drawing per Jennifer Edwards mini lesson number six! I love how you use your watercolor around the subject. I keep forgetting to leave white space. It looks so nice how you do it.

A note on the Tombow pens: they aren't fadeproof so only use them in a closed journal or take a quality scan for the future. I haven't tested any but the black but it faded to almost nothing in a matter of a few months. What is in my journals is holding up fine so far.

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you ALL so much for visiting and taking time to comment!!

Timaree it's good to see you back. Thank you for the compliment. Leaving white space is harder than anything in watercolor I think. The Pentel Pocket Brush Pen is just so great to use. Thanks for the info. on the Tombows, I figured that was the case. Mostly I'm using them for lettering projects and doodles in my sketchbook journal. The colors do start out so vibrant!

Ann said...

Love, LOVE your sketches! And now I've started another art supply shopping list :-)

Alex said...

These sketches are just awesome!

meegan said...

gorgeous pages. beautiful linework and colours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...