Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

My Lunchtime Sketch and Cezanne!











  






Today's lunchtime sketch in the park
 - watercolor pencil and watercolor -




What strikes me and incredibly pleases me about this sketch is that it reminds me (just a little) of Cezanne's watercolors. See Cezanne's "Trees Leaning Over Rocks"

During my first watercolor class in college, I did a watercolor of some dogwood blooms from a photo. The teacher looked at it, and started smiling and shouting to me, "It's a Cezanne! It's a Cezanne!!"  Well at the time I had no idea what she was talking about.  I was 19 years old, fresh out of high school, and had never heard of Cezanne.  Since then I have studied him in depth and my interest in his work and life, particularly in his watercolors, has never waned.  
Hey, maybe that's an idea! - I think I will do some paintings after his style and several posts on this Master artist, without a doubt my favorite.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Ann said...

I saw the Cezanne connection right away. Great sketch!

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed your lunchtimebreak as much as I do your painting :)
Boekwrm(EDM)

Timaree said...

Yes, it does have a similar look to it. Nice job.

Alex said...

Lovely! =)

Virginia said...

When I first saw Cezanne's watercolor sketches at a museum in San Francisco (Legion of Honor, I believe) I was disappointed that they were so subtle, so sketchy. Having dabbled in watercolor myself now for many years, I understand a bit better. "Watercolor sketches" does not mean PAINTINGS. Love them now, and agree you're on the road.

Cathy Holtom said...

I love drawing trees, you did a great job on this. Lots of artists copy famous works as a way of learning their techniques...go for it!

DALowe Artist said...

Did you REALLY, Ann?? That makes me so happy! Especially since I didn't even think Cezanne when I was sketching it.

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all for your comments!

Janene said...

I can see the Cezanne connection too--I think its the softness, especially of the leaves, and the color palette too.

Jeanne Damoff said...

Hi, Deborah! Thanks for your lovely comment on The Master's Artist. I just scrolled through your blog entries and enjoyed a feast of form and color. I love your attitude toward art and life. It's a delight to "meet" you.

Jeanne

patti said...

Deborah, WOW!
Talk about a LOVE CONNECTION!

I LOVE this site and will sneak out from my deadline-imposed writer cave life to enjoy art.
Can't remember if we are FB friends (forgive my 55-year-old brain) and if you check out my Art Bites. YOU SHOULD!!

Blessings,
Patti

Ann said...

Yep. Look here :-)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Paul_C%C3%A9zanne_-_Pistachio_Tree_at_Ch%C3%A2teau_Noir.jpg

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...