Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

A much-needed, very therapeutic Saturday of a little cleaning and a lot of sketching, reading, watching You've Got Mail for the 100,000th time... Pure Bliss... (except the cleaning - but the results are great!)

My first page of sketches is below, and then speaking of results...











The more finished sketch below may very well be my favorite sketch of my entire artistic career.  I don't know why, it just has it all to me... great lines and energy, my favorite things - cups that hold coffee or tea, and of course, books.  This sketch just feels like an accomplishment of sorts... And may I add that there is nothing, I mean NOTHING like a brand new Prismacolor colored pencil sharpened with an X-acto knife and chiseled ever so slightly at the end.  YUM!!  I had forgotten the pleasure that simple tool can bring.  The shadows in the white cup were too dark, so I used white gouache to lighten it and add highlights.  I started the line drawing with Faber-Castell PITT pens, and just went a little wild from there.  I do recommend knife sharpened colored pencils.  There is just something about the line they make.




And now I am having cinnamon coffee.  I drink mine black but I'm sure most people use cream if not cream and sugar - black and strong that's the way I like it... Just add a dash or two or three of cinnamon to the filter after you put the coffee in and then brew!  Perfect fall drink!  Happy Saturday evening everyone!

18 comments:

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

You were watching You've Got Mail. I was just thinking about watching again myself this past week.

I always get a yen for it this time of year.

Thanks for popping by earlier. It's always a treat to see your name in the comment box.

And cinnamon coffee... now that's a lovely thought!

Do you like cinnamon toast too?

Connie said...

I really really want to see your favorite drawing and also the examples you must be showing of the Prismacolor hand-sharpened and its special marks. But something isn't working on the blog page and all I can see are three tiny rectangles, empty. - Connie

teri said...

I wish these photos were visible to me - not sure why they aren't?

DALowe Artist said...

Thanks for stopping by and I'm sorry the pictures didn't work the first time; hopefully you can see them now. Brenda,I love Cinnamon Toast and in fact I had to fight the urge to eat some tonight; shoot, maybe I'll have it for breakfast in the morning. - uh oh it is morning. I've stayed up all night watching movies. I just watched Ladies in Lilac with Maggie Sweet and Enchanted April before that - trying out Neflix for 30 days free... I think I may be hooked.

Beach Cat ! said...

oh my what a beautiful rendering. I just got a brand new box of prismacolors and didn't know how they were to be sharpened! How I wish that sharpening them correctly would give me a bit of your skill with a pencil. I am so glad I happened upon your blog this morning.

jill said...

I also love the drawing it is very free indeed. I don't think I have watched the film though maybe i should

Anonymous said...

"A bouquet of sharpened pencils" comes from You've Got Mail, doesn't it. Obviously worked for you - lovely sketch!
Sue

Unknown said...

I've probably watched it that many times and could probably watch it that many times more! Love that movie and maybe that is what I need tonight. It always feels like I can write better after watching it...and it seems like I'm in a writing funk lately.

Love the sketch and I think I'll try sharpening my pencils like that to see what happens.

nanke's stuff said...

Love the movie and love your sketches. Sounds like your day was just about perfect!

nanke's stuff said...

Love the movie and love your sketches. Sounds like your day was just about perfect!

Mary Walker said...

Sounds like a perfect day the sketch is great love the color choices and bold lines.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I could also (almost) smell the cinnamon coffee!!

Alex said...

Beautiful work! I love both the rough sketches as well as the final version. Glad that your weekend went so well ^^

Timaree said...

I like your sketch too. It looks like you've set your mug down on a drawing of books. The play of real looking versus sketchy looking is very intriguing.

Cathy Holtom said...

Great sketch, one to be proud of!

DALowe Artist said...

Thank you all for your comments - so exciting and encouraging!
one word on the knife sharpened pencils, be sure your knife is very sharp and go slowly and carefully as Prismacolors are soft and break easily - just in case you haven't done this before... Thanks again everybody!!

Clare said...

Hi There Deborah, i love your sketches, great linework. I don't think I have been here before and will be back to visit. Thanks for the shapening prismas tip, I am always breaking them in my sharpeners!!$%##

Sasa said...

You are right, this sketch has great energy! Thank you for sharing. (Just drinking cinnamon coffee with soy milk...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...