Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

My Daddy

My favorite sketch in this journal - completed tonight while Grace was at swim team practice. I sat in the car and had an hour to paint! This is my daddy feeding his chickens. I took a photo on Father's Day and did this watercolor from that photo. The original is much better than the scan, but I had to share this, because it is so filled with meaning for me. This is my daddy in his truest light. This is him doing what he does. A slice of life. Daddy turned the riding lawn mower over on him today in the pasture. Scared me to death thinking about how bad it could have been, but thank God, he only received bruises and scrapes, and a sprain or two. Could have been terrible. But at 69 years of age, and in very poor health, he continues to work and take care of his animals. This IS Daddy. Oh how I love that man!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad that he wasn't seriously injured! the painting is lovely. what a great memory to capture.

Mindy said...

I love this! My mom is here with us right now - and her health isn't good, so I understand the emotions linked to your sketch. Keep up the good work!

Sarah M said...

I love this sketch and your writing about it. How wonderful for your dad to have a daughter who loves him so much!

kazumiwannabe said...

Your love shows in your words and painting. It's great. Best wishes to you and your dad. By the way, that painting's really good!

Spinneretta said...

I'm guessing you are Daddy's girl :) I should show this to my DH so he knows that they grow up STILL loving their Daddys ;)
I love the emotion associated with this picture, it is so much more valuable than a photo for that very reason! Glad your Daddy is OK!!

Deb said...

This is priceless! I lost my dad 5 years ago....what a hole it leaves in your life and heart. I hold to the hope of seeing him again!
I'm in SW VA, too!

Michelle said...

This is gorgeous! I love the mood it captures. Thanks for sharing your work, it always makes me smile.

Timaree said...

Don't you feel good that you've painted his likeness doing what he does? You'll always have your pictures and hopefully, he won't have more accidents with the mower which could be serious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...