Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cream of Wheat and Spiced Chai, with gouache


A favorite from childhood, (I think it's the warmth and the memories - comfort) Cream of Wheat. I know it's a rather simple food - very simple and very inexpensive actually, but when I was a little girl I remember when I felt bad or just needed something quick and nourishing, Mama would fix me Cream of Wheat. I hadn't tried since those days, but I had the urge to return to it a few days ago. I saw it on the shelf and brought it home, this time the whole grain version. I made it for "brunch" today - a little fancier than Mama used to do it...

I added a tiny dash of nutmeg, a large dash of cinnamon, a little tiny splash of vanilla flavoring while it simmered and then as it cooled I stirred in a pinch and a half of brown sugar.  Mmmmm.   That along with a cup of Tazo spiced chai hot tea with milk and sugar and I am warm and filled. My still sick daughter is asleep on the couch after taking a Nyquil (yes it is daytime, but it was all I had in the house) and so hopefully that and the chicken noodle soup I made yesterday along with a lot of love, will have her feeling better by tomorrow.  My special friend is also bringing over some Mucinex - he is way too good to me.

So I have been happily painting my favorite mug, or one of the many favorite mugs I have.  I used a 4" x 6" piece of Stonehenge paper and my Pelikan gouache set, which I just adore.  It's the 24 pan set and I highly recommend it. You can see it here.
 1
The initial "drawing" with a liner brush then more color added below
 2
Layers of more color and definition, and then time to stop before I ruin it...the hardest part
 3, finish
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...