Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

An Update at Last




I've been going through a bit of a transition/down-time with my art and blogging. Maybe it's the arrival of spring. I spent one weekend organizing my art supplies and cleaning out a closet to store seldom used supplies so that my kitchen/studio would be less cluttered. I've been feeling wonderful and able to stay busy, which has kept me off the computer. The migraines have all but stopped thanks to a new doctor and new medicine. I am so very thankful! I have my life back!


I spent this Friday night and yesterday entertaining my twin nieces, who will turn 7 in July.





Saturday their cousin joined them. He will turn 7 in October.



They pretended I was their teacher and called me Miss Deborah. We had a day of art, playing, and learning.



They were amazing students and were completely enraptured by art for most of the day. They created masterpieces on every white piece of cardstock I had in the house!





I did the little sketch below in my Aquabee one month ago today. I sketched it in sepia colored pencil and added watercolor with touches of white gouache. It's such a simple sketch of the corner of my bookcase done while watching TV in the living room with my husband.




This sketch started me in a whole new direction. I am growing tired of collage and feel the need to simplify and go back to my first love - watercolor and colored pencil, or watercolor and pen sketches. Simplify... which is one of the reasons for cleaning out and organizing the studio a bit.


This is a sketchbook I started a couple of years ago on trees. I collaged the leaves on Saturday. In this photo they are just randomly laying on top.






Tonight I did something I haven't done in a very long time. I packed my Yarka watercolor palette and my colored pencils and went driving on the backroads, pulled over and sketched this. I realized how very out of practice I am. I felt hesitant and nervous when I began. But the end result was that it was relaxing, exhilirating and so therapeutic.





It's as if I'm caught between two styles and I can't decide which to claim as my own; which to concentrate on. I think they're both me. But entirely and completely different. The drawing below is the result I get when I have no model and I'm just drawing from my imagination. I love both styles and can't imagine leaving one for the other, so there you go...









Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a wonderfully creative time! Glad to see you posting again

Alex said...

I love to see kids playing with colors, and what they put on a white sheet. :)
I wished I could spend more time with my nephews and niece, unfortunately I am working in another country. That's how I learned how to appreciate simple things like just spending time and doing something together.
:) Wonderful post!

seesue said...

Lots goin' on at your place. I like your little corner sketch the best.

Sarah Ketelaars said...

Looks like you've all had a great time - it's very inspiring creating alongside kids i think! I like your books and jug painting - lovely.

Katy said...

SO glad you are feeling better! I love your watercolor work. The sketch of the conrner of your bookcase is especially good to me.

As to style, I say you just do what you want to do as you are inspired to do it! Your work is delightful either way!

Beth Baxter said...

Keep exploring both of your styles, maybe someday they'll merge into one very unique style, or maybe not, this is your journey.

Ann said...

What a wonderful gift to give your nieces and nephew. Your watercolors and sketches are very nice.Keep playing! It's all about the process you know :)

Michelle said...

I particularly like your landscape and bookcase sketches, although I'm always a fan of your work! Those sketches remind me of your earlier work, back when we first met... I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Anonymous said...

The kids seem to have enjoyed the bright colors on their sheets!! :) I loved your paintings too...

Pea said...

enjoyed the post throughly!nice watercolours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...