Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Art Project Central

I've been busy, busy, busy!
Inspired this year to make all my Christmas cards, even though in prior years I haven't even gotten any out at all.  This year I'm feeling Christmas in my bones and wanting to savor every minute before it flies past us and turns into January. I feel as if time is flying and I can't catch it.  The urge to create this past week has been overwhelming. I wake up with plans to make art and mulling over the ideas and I go to bed with the same thoughts. It's been all-consuming. I knew I must answer the call I felt this week. So having Thursday off as a holiday anyway, I took Friday as well and I have spent four glorious days in the kitchen/studio making the most delightful creative mess you can imagine! Nothing is complete yet, but the juices are still flowing, so I hope to bring the project to fruition.

I started out by drawing a star and using it as a pattern to draw stars on this textured yellow fabric that a friend had picked up for me at Goodwill. I cut them out and painted them gold and silver (Liquitex acrylic, soft and heavy body paints). Some I stamped using needlepoint plastic that I picked up at Walmart dipped in white paint.  I don't really know what it's called, but it does make great texture, which is why I bought it.

Christmas Cards in Progress:
Step 1 - "My stars and garters!" - a phrase my mother used to say :-)

Glued background and stars on the cards with Mod Podge and hung them up to dry. I've used stamping with various objects for texture - bubble wrap, the needlepoint plastic sheet, macrame beads, you name it. I also used Modeling Paste (Liquitex flexible) for the first time.

A close up of a card awaiting text and blending with charcoal





Big sheet for cutting out backgrounds for remaining stars. I've used sheets from a music book, slinging paint, cheesecloth, modeling paste, bubble wrap, direct painting with acrylic - I've used anything to make layers of texture. It was too bright, so I painted over it with a very thin layer of white acrylic paint - very watered down.  This is a full sheet of Stonehenge paper as the support.
 
A glorious, creative MESS!
 
Almost finished cards (waiting for text) drying amid the creative mess!

Some more fun - paintings in progress:
Line drawing from my imagination
Color added but still not finished - obviously this is me surrounded by the books I love and of course a cup of coffee or tea (spiced chai I think)!


Sketching out an acrylic painting - see below for next step.
 


Step 2, the background color of what is to be a Christmas gift - acrylic on canvas
 

Posted by Picasa


8 comments:

Soozie4Him said...

Oh Deb, what a wonderful creative post! SO glad that you've made some time to follow your creative muse!! People who get these Christmas cards will be BLESSED!!

Hugs,
Susan from CJ

Timaree said...

Glad to see you felt creative and went for it! That's a lot done in such a short time. Can't wait to see what they all look like when done.

Tracy Krauss said...

I came across your blog on the ACFW book club announcements. As an artist, author, musician and drama director, I too feel the creative urge to be overwhelming at times. Isn't it fun to be hardwired to CREATE?!

Cathy Holtom said...

Lots of interesting ideas here, it would be fun to watch you at work!

Debbie Eckmier said...

So great to be able to allow yourself to have a few days for creating!!
Love your stars :-)

ladylyn777 said...

WOW! What inspiration! Makes me wish for time/energy/inspiration to get at my PIANO the way you have gotten into your ART! Bless you for sharing this with us!

Unknown said...

I love visiting here. You always surprise me with something creative. Love this post and love seeing the process!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had days like that in a long time, but I remember the feeling. So happy for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...